AN EMAIL TO RANVEER BRAR- SUBJECT: GAJAR KA HALWA

 Hello, Sir!


I hope this email finds you well. While watching this episode of yours, a few concerns came to my mind. It isn't related to your cooking skills, but what example you are setting in the society at large. 

A few minutes later in the video, you say, “ I think every mother should gift her children a wonderful gajar ka halwa memory. “  

While to a non- suspecting mind this line is of no consequence. But for me, it did raise a question- “ Why only women and not men?”, “ Why a ‘male’ chef who went against the tide to prove his mettle in a largely patriarchal order, come up with a line that it is only mothers who can give cooking memories to her children and not fathers?” Unknowingly, you are perpetuating the stereotype you stood up for. 

My elder brother once sent me a video of yours featured in Josh Talks titled, “ Masterchef’s Success Story”. Interestingly, it were the women in the house who lit the fire inside you. But there was Munir Chacha too- he also gave you cooking memories. Both men and women deserve equal credit in helping you reach where you are now; thus proving the point that cooking as a skill is gender-free. 

Even in 2020, many families are still living 90s India, where narrow career options dominate the will to do something different. We are already pitted against the stereotypical gender roles. 

Not everyone can climb out of small-town to pursue their dreams. Some vicariously live their dreams in you by feeding their children watching your videos. 

You come as a beacon of hope for small-town boys and girls for your will and stubbornness. While I applaud your grit and determination, I also don't judge those who couldn't accomplish what they originally thought of and pursued the beaten path. 

Being a public figure and an influencer comes with responsibility. I just hope that your videos are more gender-inclusive as your videos cover a large section of society. 

I thought of conveying my concern as a random viewer, even though I am not fond of cooking. You are talented, and I wouldn't want your YouTube channel and “ dukaan” to shut down in future, while you sitting clueless and later accusing me, “ Ankita, aapne toh bataya hi nahi!” :D

My best wishes 
Ankita Kumari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE MANY RAMAYANAS FOR AN UNPREJUDICED MIND

IN A FEW WORDS AND POINTS- THE MIXED BAG

THE LITERARY CANON: AN OVERVIEW